At our Autism clinic, we use a multi-disciplinary approach where all disciplines are able to work together to teach skills most effectively to work on speech, motor skills, social skills, living skills, transition skills, and planning skills.
Chicago Autism Clinic
What is Autism?
For a quick education on Autism, check out our infographic here.
Common Red Flags of Autism
- Diagnostic Criteria:
- Impaired social relationships
- Deficient non-verbal communication (eye conact, facial movements, gestures)
- Abnormal peer interactions
- Deficient emotional reciprocity
- Impaired Communication & Play:
- Delayed language development
- Impaired conversational abilities
- Stereotyped and repetitive language
- Absent or stereotypical play
- Impaired Social Behaviors:
- Play behavior is limited
- Low sensitivity to nonverbal cues
- Lack of understanding of the distress of others
- Communication is self-centered and need-oriented
- Restricted Interests & Activities:
- Preoccupation with narrow range of activities
- Focus on parts of objects as opposed to whole
- Nonfunctional routines or rituals
- The child will undergo a diagnostic evaluation that measures a child's cognitive, academic, attentional and social-emotional functioning.
- The child will participate in formal testing in which various assessment measures are administered in order to provide clinical information regarding diagnostic clarification.
- The parents and academic team (if available) will fill out report forms to provide in-depth information regarding the child's social, emotional and behavioral functioning in the home and classroom setting.
- After this information is collected, the family will weet with the neuropsycholigist to review the results of the tests/evaluation and establish an appropriate diagnosis. This meeting will also serve as the framework of creating specific and practical interventions and accommodations within the home and school environment.
- The neuropsychologist will conduct follow-up evaluations ever six to 12 months in order to monitor progress from various intervents.
At North Shore Pediatric Therapy, we use a multi-disciplinary approach for the treatment of autism. Our team uses evidence-based treatment approaches to increase the following skills:
- Speech and language
- Gross and fine motor
- Daily living
- Classroom and group
Fill out the form to the right to be contacted by one of our specialists.